On Thursday 12 April 2007 18:52, M Harris wrote:
>         Hope this helps you.
        Forgot to mention... when you get the drivers loaded (they will load
and work
well) the modules will be marked tainted.   In other words, in dmesg,  you
will see a message for each of the sound modules... snd-mixer-oss,
snd-pmc-oss, snd-hda-intel, etc... that says, "module not supported by
Novell, setting U taint flag".

        There have been long discussions as to why... which I do not fully
understand
since the module snd-hda-intel is open... but oh well...

        by the by,....   The modules of the same name that shipped with
openSUSE 10.0
do not work... but the modules in version 11 of the alsa driver do.   I might
suspect that the same is true for 10.2--- but don't know for sure yet...
haven't loaded it.

        The other thing to understand about sound on a laptop is that even
though
they use standard chip sets in the sound cards... sometimes the hardware
cannot be auto-detected because some of the hardware is simplified... in
other words, you need to specify the the module options explicitly sometimes
before the module will load.

        And another thing...  make sure that the snd-pcm-oss module loads...
sometimes it doesn't and you have to insert it manually

        modprobe snd-pcm-oss

        The same goes for the snd-mixer-oss module... this keeps the mixer from
coming up even though the snd-hda-intel module loaded.

        modprobe snd-mixer-oss

        Write now--- as we speak--- I have another friends laptop in my lair
and it
won't play system sounds... the mixer works... the modules all load... alsa
can be stopped and restarted without any errors... cds will play fine... but
no system sounds from kde...  **frustrating** !!   But, I never give up...
laptops are just hard to whip into shape sometimes... and you shouldn't give
up either... good luck.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><