Kai Ponte wrote:

Um, that's what all local email does. In fact, I spend most of my time deleting the 50 or so post which aren't interesting/relevant. With forums, I just ignore them.

Then you might want to try a news reader, at nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.linux.suse.opensuse.user
Seamonkey, Thunderbird, and others have quite good capabilites.

Proper threading, kill files, mark remaining articles as read with one touch; everything is there to scan hundreds of articles in a few minutes. Furthermore every news reader can differentiates between followup (reply to group) and reply to author, thus making the dreaded Reply-To discussion mood. (Be careful to set the news reader configuration that you see only unread messages by default.)

Best of both worlds. News readers were optimized long time ago to be able to handle MANY articles in MANY newsgroups. Without them, I wouldn't be able to handle the several thousands of messages that I scan on a daily basis. Try to do that in a forum.

        Joachim