On 2007-04-13 19:20, Registration Account wrote:
> I have set up a samba server all o.k. I cannot even view any workgroup.
> This is a result of internal security which I control. I was of the
> belief that Samba uses Netbios for transmitting and advertising on the
> LAN and have enabled TCP/UDP 137-139 on the required route
> 192.168.100.0/24 that the workstations are on that I want Samba services
> to be available.

Explicitly verify in /etc/sysconfig/SuSEfirewall2 that
FW_SERVICES_INT_TCP and FW_SERVICES_INT_UDP include this port range. You
actually don't need all the ports in both places, but it doesn't really
make any difference -- for example, on my system I have UDP open for
port 137 only. Do note that port ranges are specified using a colon, eg.
137:139.

If you have any XP systems in the network you must also enable port 445
on TCP.

The port 1024 reference someone mentioned is in error.

--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo. -- HG Wells