Looking at the SuSE artwork I realize that there is a lot of work
needed on this issue. I don't know Novell's proprietary SuSE distro
but surely has a more sophisticated artwork that identifies company's
corporate image. I agree that first that an user sees when gets its
new SuSE box installed is its desktop, first impression is the most
important one, almost for most of the mean users (between whom I
exclude myself, because I prefer a hi-quality product in terms of code
instead appearance).  Even most good SuSE logos published in
opensuse.org are independent-developed.

I wonder if there isn't any official initiative to support these
independent efforts by means of a new graphic designers community
based on Linux and SuSE in order to take advantage of creative
people's work for good of Novell and openSUSE project. If not, I
propose to start recruiting people and develop a new SUSE website
dedicated to this subject.Wallpapers would be chosen from higher rated
ones, and new Gnome/KDE/Beryl themes, icon sets, color schemes...,
would be then available for the community.