> Should we, as a community, take some steps to ensure best experience
> for our Susers ? (SUSE users) :)
> One thing that comes to mind, is to symlink (or even hardlink?) sda
> block devices to hda files, so that suser's transition will be
> transparent.

I really think this is a non-issue;  there is a long existing solution
to this problem: LVM.  Drives are scanned and assigned to volume groups
dynamically.

Use LVM.

> This will NOT solve the 15-partitions problem, but this *will* save

I strongly suspect that 15 partitions per drives is *extremely* rare.

Use LVM and you can carve up your disks as many ways as you want.

> all the fstabs, backup scripts and other system software from braking
> with a new openSUSE release. This should be made as a
> backward-compatibility measure.

Adam Tauno Williams
Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com