On Monday 16 April 2007 15:41, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> I definitely think it would be logical to have a Windows Compatibility
> tool that allowed Windows source code to easily be ported to Linux.
> If Wine fits that goal, fantastic.
        The problem of making wine work consistently is one of licensing for
one
thing.  Technically, I can move any of the windoze dlls over to my wine setup
an make just about any windoze application work... I did that back at IBM
where I was able to make Lotus Notes run in wine... but the problem is that
those windoze components require a windoze license also, and when you're
done, you're still using closed software.  Now, as a stop-gap, [ believe this
or not guys ] I am not apposed to doing that for the short term if an app is
absolutely critical until a replacement can be built.

        Running a win app on linux and porting a win app to linux are two
different
things. The cite above uses the word "ported" which in fact wine does not do.
Wine does allow a win app to run on linux until such time as the app can be
"ported," that is, rewritten for native linux.

        The bottom line is that there are many apps that *must* be written
soon... an
industrial strength CAD program for instance, Logos Research logos software,
and maybe on my mind right now because its April--- a tax processing program
complete with electronic filing for both Fed and State...

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><