Mates,

This is really comical - sort of. I am running opensuse 10. I have been through heck compiling a new kernel. I got the 2.6.20 kernel and did the following

Get the latest and greatest kernel, unpack it into /usr/src/linux-2.6.20,
create a symlink linux->linux-2.6.20
cd linux
zcat /proc/config.gz config
make oldconfig
make
make modules_install
make install.
edit grub to boot from new and old kernels.

This was the first build from the new source tree. On boot, the 2.6.20 kernel boots fine, but it can't find eth-id..... and the network fails, then there is *no* keyboard input and the mouse is dead (no lights). It just sits at the (login: ) prompt, but I can't type a darn thing.

Anybody want to take a stab at where I screwed up?? Why in the heck wouldn't I have a keyboard??

--
David C. Rankin, J.D., P.E.
510 Ochiltree Street