Adam Tauno Williams wrote:
>>> I need to setup a PDC on Samba 3. To achieve this I followed the steps
>>> described on the Samba docs and on some other websites I found after
>>> googling for a while. From the Samba side everything seems to be OK:
>>>
>> Sorry to touch basics but ....
>> Is your record of the form?
>> _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.mydomain.com IN SRV 0 100 389 <PDC server>.mydomain.com
>> and port 389 is open on server
>> It was a long time ago I set this up... but I do vaguely remember something
>> anout DOMAIN names, and PDC names needing to map onto DNS server names and z
>> one names, but my memory may be playing tricks :-)
>>

> These DNS entries are not required for an NT4 domain,  which is what a
> Samba 3.x PDC hosts/creates.  These entries are used [primarily] by an
> AD (Windows 2003) domain.  The absence of these entries will not prevent
> clients from joining the Samba 3 domain.
>
> http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/samba-pdc.html
>
> --
> Adam Tauno Williams
> Network & Systems Administrator
> Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com
> Developer - http://www.opengroupware.org

Unfortunately, my XP Professional machine refused point blank to connect
to the server until this DNS entry was setup, XP seems to use the
service location protocols by default, and also is little more geared
towards an AD environment even when talking to the now unsupported
Domain Services side of things. I spent a frustrating couple of days
trying to get to the bottom of what was going on. It is a relatively
simple kludge which worked for me.

It was not required with Samba 2 and it  probably is not required for
the Linux Samba client.

begin:vcard
fn:Graham T. Smith
n:Smith;Graham T.
adr:Barton upon Humber;;90 Bowmandale;;North Lincs.;DN18 5EA;UK
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
tel;cell:07876793607
version:2.1
end:vcard