Hi:

I have a system running OpenSuSE 10.2 that has some odd behavior. I have
two identical LG HL-DT-ST - DVDRRW GSA-4166B DVD burners.

When I run k3b I get a message saying "DMA disabled on device HL-DT-ST -
DVDRRW GSA-4166B." It suggests the problem can be fixed by running
"hdparm -d 1 /dev/hda" as root.

I have done that. I have also run YAST and actually set the two channels
explicitly for DMA/33. In either case, the settings do not "stick" even
when done via YAST.

When I run k3b and make multiple copies of a DVD, the first copy starts
at 16-X but trails off to about 2X before it is done and does the second
copy at about 1X. If I check in YAST or start and restart k3b, I get the
"DMA disabled" message again.

Some more "interesting" actions. I have a YMF724-Based PCI Audio Adapter
installed. I can set the sound card up through YAST and the card works
great. But if I reboot, the sound is gone again. I can get sound back
only by resetting it in YAST.

One other possible "factor." This PC, a Dell 2.8 MHz unit, was shipped
with Windows XP. The Windows system crashed big time twice with the
Windows C: drive trashed. I decided to wipe it clean and install
OpenSuSE 10.2. I have had no problems whatsoever with the hard drive
since installing OpenSuSE.

I am not a major hardware expert, but I am wondering if the hard drive
controller may be faulty. But since I have had no problems with booting
SuSE and getting it up (except the sound & DMA issues above), I just do
not know.

So, I am stuck.

Any help would be appreciated.

Jess