Petr KlĂ­ma wrote:
> Carlos E. R. wrote:
>> The original poster did not say that the shutdown command is issued from
>> the ssh session. That's an assumption made later by Harris.
>
> That's right, ssh session is not terminated in any case - I can submit
> reboot from other session or locally, nothing matters.
>
>> Look: open a terminal in you computer, and do "ssh localhost". Then,
>> shut
[snip]

> Well, my experience is when you work on remote machine using ssh and
> restart sshd daemon (sshd gets killed for sure), no ssh session is
> terminated and you can work almost without interruption. Obviously, Suse
> behaves exactly the same way when rebooting. BUT every other distro I
> ever used extensively (Debian, RH, Fedora) terminated ssh sessions
> correctly upon reboot.

This is not my experience at all, in fact quite the opposite.  On RHEL 2.1
and 3.0 I have used this "feature" to do updates to sshd_config and the
sshd binary itself.  Restarting the process and being able to verify the
configuration is working as expected without getting cut off with your
original session was a good thing in that case.  Having several dozen
machines and having to connect to the console remotely (through the RIB or
RSA) can be a pain in the butt.

Yes, of course you could just setup your own daemon running on a different
port and do the work from there, but since this feature existed it was
nice to use.

Michael