Sat, 21 Apr 2007, by [EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> Theo v. Werkhoven wrote:

> >Btw: the Postfix sendmail drop-in still uses a queue, even without a
> >running daemon, the user just has to flush this by hand (or by
> >script) if the connection doesn't succeed immediately.
> >I'm pretty sure the original Sendmail does this too.
>
> Eh? That's almost exactly what I wrote above (intermedieate text
> removed to make it clearer). Only that I would not flush a queue by
> hand, but would use cron for that.

I didn't read that carefully enough.

> >>Otherwise you'll miss error messages. A Unix system without a
> >>configured MTA is plain and simply misconfigured. To add a smart
> >>host to this basic configuration is trivial in 99.99% of all cases.
> >>(And Carlos' multi-ISP setup is the remaining 0.01%. :-) :-)
> >
> >There's not much to configure is there? A /etc/nsswitch.conf file,
> >a /etc/hosts file and a /etc/aliases file afaik.
>
> Sorry, but I don't understand what you want to say here.

What I'm trying to say is that there's no magic in sendmail.mc or
main.cf to be configured in order to get a working SMTP client
program.
Answering the basic questions (with sensible data) while you setup a
Linux system are enough.

> I think, we agree that one should configure the MTA on a Unix host,
> don't we?

Depends, like I said, for embedded systems I do not see the point.
For (normal) desktop and server setups I agree.

> We seem to differ in our opinion if queue flushing should be done
> automatically by a daemon process/cron job or by hand. I think
> automatic flush is the sensible way to do it, and you seem to think
> that manual queue flushing is preferable.

No, what I say is that mail works with or without an automatic flush
system. A daemon process is not absolutely neccessary to get mail
out the system.

Theo
--
Theo v. Werkhoven    Registered Linux user# 99872 http://counter.li.org
ICBM 52 13 26N , 4 29 47E.     +      ICQ: 277217131