On Saturday 21 April 2007 18:23, Doug McGarrett wrote:
> When you go to the Local Folders/inbox - KMail, you are presented with
> (under File) "Save As".  So you do that.  Then you tell it OK, or whatever
> it says then.  And now you would like to read your next email, but under
> the display, is the old email that you just saved, and you don't want to
> read it anymore.  You have to snap on that, go to the X on the top, and
> stop it. Eudora doesn't work that way, and neither should KMail.  It's a
> PITA, and should not be necessary.  I hope that now I have explained what
> nobody seems to have grasped before.

Hi Doug,

You can see Local Folders in left panel.
Underneat, shifted right are inbox, outbox, sent-mail, trash, drafts, that are
subfolders of folder called "Local Folders".

If you want to organize your mail for instance to have private mail separate
from mail lists, you can create more subfolders of "Local Folders". It is
simple:
- Bring mouse pointer over "Local Folders" and click right button.
  It will show drop down menu where first entry is "New Folder".
- Click on "New Folder" and it will show small window that is asking for Name
  and Mailbox format.
- Type as Name for instance Private.
- For Mailbox format choose mbox. This format is a single file archive that
  is supported by most email clients (for Thunderbird it is default format)
  and it gives better access times on large number of stored mails.
- Click OK.

You can see now new folder underneat drafts folder with name Private.

Using above method you can create more folders for different purposes.

For opensuse mail lists I created "opensuse" folder, and that one has another
layer of sub-subfolders for each mail list one. For opensuse@opensuse.org I
made folder with name "main".

Why is this better than saving mails using "Save As ..."?
This internal KMail folders allow you to create and use filters that will put
all incoming mails in separate folder automatically. To create filters look
in drop down menu Settings, item "Configure Filters ...".

There is no special need to separate mail to read and unread.
KMail marks them automatically:
- unread that just arrived is red color text
- unread from before is dark blue,
- read messages are normal black color.

Threading has to be enabled for each new folder.
In a drop down menu Folder look for item "Thread Messages".

--
Regards, Rajko.
http://en.opensuse.org/Portal