Chris & Steve wrote:
Hi everybody,
I have to ask this question with the hopes that somebody out there has
used SLED (Suse Linux Enterprise Destkop) and OSL (Open Suse Linux)
enough to know if SLED is really that much more refined and stable.
SLED currently is based on OSL's 10.1 build...with that in mind...would
anybody say that SLED is worth it for the support and other purks that
is being offered?

I'm asking this question because we plan on offering Suse Linux as an
option to MS products on a new PC....should it be SLED or OSL?

Thanks Chris

If you want a Linux desktop in a production environment with stability, long service support and guarantees that it'll work, a Linux you intend to use out of the box without much customising it then SLED is awesome.

If you want a custom desktop with 3rd party packages/software and you're not fussed about guarantees or support and are happy to fix problems yourself then openSUSE is probably for you.

However if you're suppling end users with a Linux install, if you're running a community distro they'll be coming to you to fix their problems, however if they've got SLED you can palm them off to Novell will make your life easier!

If you want full multimedia support on SLED you'll have to install the respective oS packages on it as they aren't available natively.

Matthew