Billie Erin Walsh wrote:
Joachim Schrod wrote:
Rajko M. wrote:

This maybe nothing new, but it is for sure openSUSE/SUSE Linux specific.
http://en.opensuse.org/ATI
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/17340.html

Thanks, I haven't seem them before. Especially the information that
ATI's driver doesn't survive a kernel update and needs to be
reinstalled is very helpful.

I have an eMachine Intel dual core with ATI graphics card, Xpress
something. Anyway, the darned thing would never work with 10.0 or 10.1
but 10.2 has always installed and worked perfectly [ and this makes
about my fourth install on this machine for various reasons - Mostly
ID-10-T errors ]. I even updated the kernel a couple times to the
2.6.20* [ when I could find it on the factory site] from the 2.6.18*
kernel. The ATI drivers worked just fine through the upgrade.

Interesting. How did you install ATI's driver?

With YAST, using the repository that ATI provides (as per instructions at http://www.suse.de/~sndirsch/ati-installer-HOWTO.html), or by downloading and calling ati-driver-install (as per instructions on the OpenSUSE Wiki and the CoolSolutions article, referenced above)?

        Joachim