On Sunday 22 April 2007 10:08, Joseph Loo wrote:
> I am thinking of building a myth tv system. I want to hibernate my
> computer when it is not in use but wake up when it needs to start
> recording or to use the box. Are there any programs or facilities
> that allow this?

I don't think a software solution is possible. You probably need some
kind of timer hardware that can issue the necessary wake-up inducing
signals. A conventional desktop (or laptop) system that is hibernating
is basically shut down. All the state required to reawaken it has been
migrated to mass storage. Awakening from hibernation is more like a
full startup except that instead of creating a system context from
scratch by loading the kernel and init (as is done when rebooting), the
system re-establishes the state that was in effect when hibernation
began.

I'd look for a mainboard and / or BIOSes that has a programmable wake-up
timer.

> --
> Joseph Loo

Randall Schulz