I have a really big problem:

My brand new Thinkpad Z61p is slower than my "old" T42p.

Z61p: T7200 Dual2 Core 2GHz, 4GB RAM, 100GB S-ATA
T42p: Centrino (Dothan?) 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 100GB IDE

I found a possible issue: accessing S-ATA HD slows down the system.
If i try "find / -name <bla>" the system is turned into a brick until
find has been completed. "top" shows jumping 100% WA (wait IO?) from
one CPU to the other.

First i tried to find out if XFS or 64bit is the problem.

1.) XFS is not the problem, doing the same find on a LUKS-encrypted, XFS
formatted USB HD is much more faster and "top" shows no WA.

2.) 64bit seems also not the problem, starting Ubuntu-7.04-64bit from
CD, mounting HD with same mount options (noatime, nobarrier) shows a
great performance!

3.) I've tried the kernel of the day, it was 2.6.21-rc7-git5 but no
success, it has the same issue!

So what can i do now?

Regards
Frank