On Tuesday 24 April 2007 00:24, Vince Oliver wrote:
> Hi all
>
> I would like to set some aliases in .bashrc that shall do some
> usefull things like:
>
> alias al="echo $PATH | awk 'BEGIN{FS=":"} {for(i=1;i<=NF;i++) print
> $i}'"

I use this:

path() {
        echo "$PATH" |tr ':' '\n'
}

I have similar functions for my cd-path ($CDPATH), my Java class-path
($CLASSPATH), my directory stack (not quite as simple as the others)
and other path-like environment variables.

I hate to see that stuff smashed together on one line.

> thanks
> oliver

Randall Schulz