Joe Shaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 4/24/07, G.T.Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> access time == modification time == creation time
>
> Note that ctime is *not* creation time, it's change time.  It is set
> any time some metadata about the file is changed (user/group
> ownership, change in access rights, extended attributes).  See the
> stat(2) manpage for more info.  Unix filesystems have no concept of
> creation time.
>
> Joe
Thank you for this, it explains a lot to me about some of the
inconsistencies I noted... I have come across a few references
suggesting that time stamping in *NIX is a bit brain damaged, now I have
a glimpse of why people have been making this assertion...

The conclusion I am coming too is the the current time stamping
mechanism is inadequate for anything but the crudest of time related
file management, and possibly not even that given the way some things
manage files...

I have been exploring various strategies for developing a backup and
archival mechanism that is suitable for the SOHO linux workstation
environment (particularly my own) since the apparent demise of my tape
drive. This when working was hitting a problem in the amount of data
being backed was beginning to exceed the capacity of the unit. I have
been looking at way breaking down the amount of material backed up to
reasonably quantities. This needs a mechanism to identify changed files
and time stamping was an option...If time stamping was reliable and
consistent this could have been used to flag files to backup, it is not
so it cant **sigh** I