Evan Ingram wrote:
> Hi there
>
> how can i insert a time delay into the booting of a server?
>
> one of my servers has ldap user and authentication data that my terminal
> server uses. after a power failure and when power is restored both
> machines come back to life at the same time, but i need the ldap server
> to be ready before the terminal server. I figured a simple pause would
> suffice as the servers are running 99% of the time and power failures
> are few and far between so im not considering wakeonlan, not sure if the
> network card supports it anyway.
>
> thanks

One method would be add a script which basically consisted of a sleep
statement to the init.d scripts before the script loading the network
interfaces on the terminal server. (But you you would to ensure that the
scripts were run sequentially). Another method would be set the LDAP
authentication process on the terminal server to loop until it
succeeded. The easiest and least error prone would be if grub is
enabled, would be to just change the grub boot delay time on the
terminal server.