On Monday 30 April 2007 23:07, Kai Ponte wrote:
> On Monday 30 April 2007 06:46:09 pm Doug McGarrett wrote:
> > I don't mean to piggyback on this thread, but it seems easiest, and is
> > not really OT.
>
> Yeah....right...
>
> </jane curtian mode>
I don't know who jane curtian might be, sorry--

> > Having had problems with printers in 9.3, which I intend to stay with
> > until probably at least 6 months from now, I would like a recommendation
> > for a low-cost laser that will absolutely work with this OS out of the
> > box.
>
> Well, my Epson CX3200 USB printer/scanner worked perfectly out of the box
> on 9.1 > 10.1.  I've had no issues whatsoever. I have an HP 1380 at work
> (parallel) which works as well.
>
> My mom's got a HP somethingoranother printer and had an Epson RX300 before
> that. (It sucked up too much ink, though.)
>
> >  I can use USB or parallel, whichever is more reliable.  I am getting
> > more and more frustrated with M/S and XP/SP2, and since I lost almost
> > everything in a disk crash, now is the time to look more seriously at
> > Linux, but I _must_ have working printing!!!
> >
> > (If I could install and get hplip to work,
>
> AFAIK, hplip only works on 10.0 or newer systems. I've not looked in
> awhile. It is a nice utility, tho.

Maybe that's why I can't get the LJ 2200 to work on 9.3.  It tries, but won't.
And hplip is not loaded, and apparently won't.

> > I might be able to use my big HP
> > Laser, that used to work with 10.0, but I've had no luck doing that.  Any
> > help would be appreciated.  Do I have to download a different copy that
> > isn't on the floppies from someplace, and if so, where?  And how?
>
> Dunno. By "big" do you mean an old HP LJIIIsi or a 9500hdn?

Well it's about that big, and does wonderful printing, just not from 9.3.
For the mention from someone before about color lasers, I don't have the
resources to support supplies, and I rather seldom have the need for color
output.

--doug