On Monday 30 April 2007 20:35, Bob S wrote:
> On Monday 30 April 2007 19:48, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> > The Monday 2007-04-30 at 13:19 -0700, Randall R Schulz wrote:
> > >
> > > I thought the task was to replicate a file system from one disk
> > > (or partition) to another?
> >
> > Actually, from one disk to the same disk after repair - but I don't
> > know which was (is) the intermediate media.
>
> The intermediate media was another larger hard drive with sufficient
> space. I reserve that space specifically for backups.
>
> Uhhhhh...Further back in this thread there was discussion about hard
> links and symlinks. How does one identify hard links and
> differentiate them from symlinks.  I remember seeing them displayed
> as little arrows when using ls -l Can you see them in MC?

In the output of the "ls" command when invoked with the "-l" option,
symlinks are displayed with an 'l' as the first character of the line.
(Other possibilities are 'd': directory; 's': Unix-domain socket; 'p':
named pipe; 'b': block device; 'c': character device).

If the ls command is invoked with the '-l' and '-F' options
(equivalently, "-lF"), then a type-signifying character distinct from
those mentioned above is appended as the last character, immediately
following the file name. Those characters are: '/': directory; '=':
socket; '|': named pipe. Symbolic links are shown with an arrow ("->")
and the target of the link. If invoked with -F but not -l, symlinks are
shown with a trailing '@'.

As I mentioned, hard links are not special entities. All directory
entries are hard links. The "ln" command just creates "extra" hard
links to the same file system entity as one referred to by an existing
directory entry. As such, they're not specially signified in the output
of any command.

> Thanks to all of you for being here and spreading your knowledge.

No problemo.

> Bob S.

Randall schulz