On Tue, May 1, 2007 02:35, John O'Gorman wrote:
> 1. Is it OK to just unplug the device without using umount?
No.

Most of the time, if the disc has been sitting on idle for a while, you'll
get away with it (but your filesystem will be marked as NOT CLEAN).

BUT:

I have noticed that SUSE tends to keep data in RAM for quite a long time.
Maybe it's just because my notebook has 2GB, so it's more liberal with
caching, but nevertheless.  Often, all discs are idle, minutes after I
copied stuff to an external disc.  Typing sync then takes at least a
couple of seconds.  If all data were already committed to the filesystem
on the external disc, sync should have been instant.  So be careful of
that.  If you cannot get it to unmount, at least to a sync before you yank
it out.

> How can you reconfigure SuSE 9 to imitate the behaviour of 10.2 with
> regards to mount points (i.e. /media/disk instead
> of /media/verylonghardwarebasednamewith\spaces?

Read up on udev.  It's going to be a fair bit of surgery though.

Hans