Quoting "Carlos E. R." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

The Wednesday 2007-05-02 at 16:40 +0200, Örn Hansen wrote:

300 _GB_ is the correct naming, as the prefix Giga meaning 10^9 is
way older than the "mistaken" computer parlance meaning of 2^30. This
second meaning should use instead the new standard GiB (gibibite).

  I think a byte is always 2^8, no matter what.  So, a GB referenced as
(2^8) * 10^9 sounds kinda odd, especially when you historically talk
about kilobyte as 1024 (2^10) and a megabyte as 1024*1024 (2^20). =)

Yes, it sounds odd, but nevertheless, it is the correct usage now (IEEE
1541). The "classic" G (GB) in computer parlance has changed to Gi
(GiB, to diferentiate from the G prefix as used in all the rest of
units in the SI.

The byte remains the same. The change is in the prefixes. "Gi" is read
"gibi", meaning 2³?. "G" means 10?. This way there is no ambiguity.

That is fascinating. I wasn't aware there was an actual change. I just figured the hard drive manufacturers were just trying to pull the wool over our collective eyes.

So, now my memory management documentation is all wrong? I no longer have 4K of memory in my TRS-80? :P

--
kai ponte
www.perfectreign.com