Am Mittwoch, 2. Mai 2007 schrieb Jerry Feldman:
> On Tue, 1 May 2007 19:57:59 +0200
>
> Herbert Graeber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 1. Mai 2007 schrieb Feris Thia:
> > > I have a global (catch-all) account at my ISP. In my Linux box I need
> > > to download all the emails from the account and want to delivered it
> > > to local user's inbox. I've just learned about .forward and
> > > .procmailrc and have no problem with Regular Expression.
> > >
> > > How do I match an email's address pattern ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) from
> > > RECEIVED field in mail's header and then resend it ?
> >
> > Why procmail? You may better use fetchmail. This is partly supported by
> > YaST. What's missing is the catch-all case (multi drop mailboxes). This
> > must be configured manually in /etc/fetchmailrc. Look into the man page
> > of fetchmail for details.
>
> Procmail is a mail delivery agent. Fetchmail is a mail retrieval agent.
> You can use Fetchmail to grab email from your ISP's POP3 or IMAP
> servers and deliver it to local users on your Linux system. This may be
> preferable to the global account at your ISP, but that depends on many
> factors.

But fetchmail has the ability to evaluate the Received fields or (better)
other custom fields added by the ISP that contain the envelope of the emails.

> With procmail you can use a number of rules to deliver email as you
> know. The problem is that there are a number of Received fields. One
> thing you could do is similar to the way we use Spamassasin, is to pipe
> the message through a program or script that you write, and add a
> unique field that you can key on. Here is my .procmailrc generic spamc
> rule.
>
> :0fw: spamassassin.lock
>
> * < 256000
>
> | spamc
>
> So, you could use something like:
> :0fw:mycode.lock
> :
> | mycode
>
> Mycode would then create a header line, such as "mycode: username"
> Then you would create a simple set of rules for the new header line you
> inserted.

Sure, procmail is a useful and flexible tool. But for getting mail from a
multi drop mailbox and delivering it into separate mailboxes via postfix or
sendmailm, fetchmail works better. You can even use procmail for other tasks,
too.

> There may be a more elegant way of doing this, but it should work.

Even when I think fetchmail is better for the task of loading and sorting
mails from multi drop mailboxes, this is not elegant too, because multi drop
mailboxes itself are a kludge.

Cheers,
Herbert