cp -u sourceFile targetFile

u can update only the latest file
see man cp first (it also work for other command) :D

for more strict u can "set -o noclobber" on cli if u don't wanna overwrite
the existing file with older o newest file

for more info
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/howto-keep-file-safe-from-overwriting.html

always happy being "baka" person.... so i can learn much more
cheers,

chika