On Thursday 03 May 2007 23:20, John Andersen wrote:
> Download it and run it from init 3 in a shell as root.  It makes an rpm
> which you then install.
        Thanks... for the archive, this was my good experience:

        3D accelerated graphics on the ATI Radeon X1050 is supported on the
openSUSE
platform (drivers from ATI AMD) albeit not out of box. The radeon driver will
talk to the card (RV370), but no 2D,3D.  First I downloaded the following
driver from:

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux/linux-radeon.html

        ati-driver-installer-8.36.5-x86.x86_64.run

... and then I followed the system requirements instructions found here:

https://a248.e.akamai.net/f/674/9206/0/www2.ati.com/drivers/linux/linux_8.36.5-inst.html

The installer download creates a linux distribution dependent rpm package
based on probing and some basic interactive questions. SuSE
9,9.1,9.2,10.0,10.1 are supported. I did not see an entry for 10.2
specifically, but will probably work fine.  The rpm can be installed in the
normal non yast way:

        rpm -ivh fglrx_6_8_0_SUSE100-8.36.5-1.i386.rpm

The package actually builds the fglrx.ko module on-the-fly---  which is why
the kernel development packages need to be loaded (headers and includes at
least) as well as gcc, and the xorg libraries-- and a couple others, see
system requirements.  The fglrx.ko module is installed following the compile,
then the user is instructed to run aticonfig.  There were a couple of
compile/link warnings, but the build went smoothly and successfully installed
the fglrx.ko module.

The recommended sax2 instruction failed on my machine:

        sax2 -r -m 0=fglrx -b /usr/....../profile   [ sax2 would not start on
my
hardware]  --- reboot... ctl-alt-dlt

So I had to punt....

What I did instead was to run   sax2  -r   which built a correct xorg.conf
file, installed the default radeon (non 3D accel) which gives aticonfig
something to work from that is stable.

Then I ran the aticonfig with this:

        aticonfig  --initial  --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf

aticonfig then modifies the xorg.conf file with device entries that will
correctly load the fglrx module.  This went very smoothly--- and following,
3D accelerated graphics were enabled and X started without problem.

The Radeon X1050 ( ~$104) is an older RV370 chip used in the X300, X550, and
X600--- to name a few.  ATI/AMD reworked the packaging, changed the name, and
put it back on the market as an entry level 3D upgrade. Its Vista capable
(what isn't these days) and while it does not support Shade 3.0, it does
support Shade 2.0, has four pipes, 75million transistors, 256MB on-board, and
comes in either an 8X AGP or PCI Express package. Its no top-of-the-line game
card to be sure, but for the money its a very nice 3D upgrade... all of the
3D games and stuff that ship with openSUSE 10.0 look great!  The down side is
that once the ATI/AMD drivers are installed sax2 cannot be used to tweak the
monitor and card... so make sure you do all that "before" you run the
aticonfig.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><