On Sat, 2007-05-05 at 08:41 +0400, Sean Craig wrote:
> Hi John,
>
> Under 'Yast | Software', have you run 'Online Update Configuration'?
>
> If you right-click on the update icon and select 'check now', what are
> your results?
Ah ha!
When I did this an error message came up to the effect that curl was
unable to resolve: www-secure.novell.com

This was despite ping and firefox working OK. (I am behind a firewall.)
dig, however, was not working.
I added my nameservers to the local /etc/resolv.conf file,  and bingo!
The update is now proceeding.

Thanks to those of you who responded
John O'Gorman