On Sunday 06 May 2007 21:09, Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Doug McGarrett <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [05-06-07 20:27]:
>  [...]
>
> > You can buy a computer from Fry's that does not have any OS on it, and
> > then put SuSE or some other OS on the machine.  I have one like that,
> > running SuSE, and it works fine, even tho I'm not using that right
> > this minute.  Well, it almost works fine.
> > It has printer problems, which I don't know how to address, but I
> > don't think that's the machine, I think that's SuSE, unfortunately.
>
> Of course, you did check to see that the printer was supported in
> linux?  And that it was properly configured??  And you followed the
> instructions "as described" by the good people here?
>
> Probably also openSUSE's fault.
>
> --
> Patrick Shanahan         Plainfield, Indiana, USA        HOG # US1244711
> http://wahoo.no-ip.org     Photo Album:  http://wahoo.no-ip.org/gallery2
> OpenSUSE Linux                                   http://en.opensuse.org/
> Registered Linux User #207535                    @ http://counter.li.org

One printer worked pretty well, after some futzing around, but the HP
Laserjet 2200D, that worked under 10.0, (which had its own problems
with KMail,) will print, sometimes, _after about an 1 hour or more delay_.
I reported this to the list, but have not had any reply, much less cure.
This printer is listed as 100% working on the Linux Printing website.
And it was, under 10.0, but since 10.0 ruined my mail with Chinese
characters, I had to go back to 9.3.  The printer that worked pretty well
may have broken of its own accord, but the Laserjet that worked under
10.0 still works perfectly under Windows, even tho Windows itself doesn't
work perfectly--or even well.  It just doesn't like 9.3, or vice versa.  I
think that this  should be made clear.  Probably SuSE 9.3's fault, yes,
absolutely.  I am hoping 10.3 is pristine, and I'm waiting.

--doug