John Andersen wrote:
> On Monday 07 May 2007, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> On Mon 07 May 2007 15:03, mourik jan wrote:
>>> I guess: "ifconfig"
>>> and look for inet addr: x.x.x.x
>>> normally you should look for the inet address under eth0.
>>  - Thanks, but it does not yet seem to work for me
>>
>> Gibson Research Corporation
>> http://www.grc.com/default.htm
>>
>>  - their "Shields UP" can immediately show ones current Internet
>> connection address
>>
>> - What is the Linux command to achieve this result please?
>>
>> thanks
>
> Run away from Gibson like your hair is on fire.  That guys
> a shameless self promoting idiot.  His software can't tell the difference
> between windows and linux.
>
> If you nee to know your effective EXTERNAL ip and you are behind
> a router use http://checkip.dyndns.com/  or http://www.whatsmyip.net/
>
> If you need to know your machine's actual IP its
> /sbin/ifconfig

There is a potential gotcha here. If you are running a local proxy
server you will tend to get the local IP address. So make sure you are
connecting to the DynDNS site directly

Go to

http://www.dyndns.com/account/index.html

login in with your details...

Select manage services...

You will see a list of host services...

select the Dynamic DNS entry under DNS services for the host you are
interested in...

This will give the currently resolved address and the address you are
connecting to the page from...