For the archive...

I recently updated an on-board pci video with the ATI X1050 (hardware) and
activated the card's 3D accelerator (see the archive for the details).

I soon noticed that two X servers were running (one session owner, the other
sleeping) both on  :0  vtty7, the one looking like a fork of the other...
same mem, same start time, incremental process id, no associated  -:0  and no
running time... obviously not doing anything except taking up memory and
irritating me.     :-O

Well, I wanted the fglrx driver from ATI for the 3D acceleration and failed to
realize that the larger contribution of the driver is dual head support.
Although I had the xorg.conf configured as only one screen, CLONE mode off,
Xinerama off, DesktopSetup "s" (single), and have only ONE display card with
only ONE monitor... the silly driver starts a second X server to handle the
second head --- if I ever want to add it !

I have not been able to find a way to prevent the startup, except to turn on
Xinerama. Xinerama will handle both monitors on one X server as one large
desk... or, by turning Xinerama off two X servers can be running, one for
each of the monitors. If I turn on Xinerama then the second X server does not
startup... *and*  3D acceleration is not activated.   <rats, catch 22>

Of course all the help on the web is regarding HOWTO make dual heads work...
not HOWTO disable dual heads....   :^)    So, it looks like this little
feature is normal... the second server (always has a larger process number
and Stat codes of SL+ ) can be killed -SIGTERM, and the primary session owner
will function fine without it--- (has a lower process id, active time, and
Stat codes of SLs+ ).   Or if memory is not an issue... just let it sit in
memory....  I'm pretty sure its not a trojan waiting to do something naughty.
Probably not.  Most likely not.  nah.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><