On Tuesday 08 May 2007 19:29, Registration Account wrote:
> However, I now need to know is there a process that removes items from
> cache after a period of time or will available memory be used to cache
> continually without being flushed.
        The other answers you have received are correct, and very good answers.
The
tiny bit I will add is that viewing the memory from "top" for from "free" can
be a little deceptive. Yes, there are very highly efficient kernel routines
that maintain your memory... and they work very well, as Randall said.
However, they *do not* free up memory in large chunks that you can *see*
typically.  The kernel uses free available memory for cache and other
purposes and efficiently balances that with system and user demand, swap,
etc. So, if you have 512M of ram, you will notice that it is mostly used...
maybe swap is used, maybe not.   If you have 1024M of ram you will notice
that its mostly used...  in other words, the kernel is going to "use" the
memory you give to it... and you don't need to do *anything* to interfere
with the processing.  :)
        Run "top" from konsole and then give it the "s" command and change the
processing update to  .5  (thats point five).  .... and then watch the
buffers, cache, main ram etc....

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><