G T Smith wrote:

cron logs via syslog; there should be log records about the start of
each job in /var/log/messages. The exception is when your crontab line
starts with "-" (a hyphen), then job start logging is turned off. (In

Oddly this is not happening on my system, the hyphen is there but job
start logging is still being performed.

Does

        grep '/usr/sbin/cron.*run-crons' /var/log/messages

really shows that cron logs each start of run-crons?
Which SUSE version is this?

The run-crons script explicitly
sends information to the syslog daemon overriding the above setting, but
successful job reporting is controlled by the $SYSLOG_ON_NO_ERROR
variable.

This variable does not exist in 10.0, which Mohamed uses. There, run-crons only logs errors (with logger).

It looks as
if the majority of the standard SuSE scripts explicitly log their status.

I have to admit that I don't understand that sentence. At my 10.0 installation, execution of the cron.daily scripts is _not_ logged. All other cron jobs are logged by cron, and not by the scripts themselves. Is this different in your SUSE installation?

        Joachim