On 5/11/07, Patrick Shanahan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
* James D. Parra <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [05-10-07 20:22]:
> I am getting 'skipping non-regular file' errors when running rsync. Any
> ideas on why and how to fix them?
>
> Using rsync -rpvougt .....
>
> skipping non-regular file "rd/programs/unixODBC-2.2.11/samples/helper.o"
> skipping non-regular file
> "rd/programs/unixODBC-2.2.11/sqp/.libs/libsqplc.la"
> skipping non-regular file
> "rd/programs/wxwidgets/wxBase-2.6.2/lib/libwx_baseu-2.6.so"
> skipping non-regular file
> "rd/programs/wxwidgets/wxBase-2.6.2/lib/libwx_baseu-2.6.so.0"

I guess, when in doubt check the doc's.  The FIRST step when you have
a problem.

From TFM:

SYMBOLIC LINKS
       Three basic behaviors are possible when rsync encounters a
       symbolic link in the source directory.

       By default, symbolic links are not transferred at all.  A
       message "skipping non-regular" file is emitted for any symlinks
       that exist.

There are other issues that cause the same error.

In my case I get them because I have several "sockets" that are in my
/home directory structure  (all from beagle I think) that I rsync to a
backup each night.

You can get an idea of what your issue is by doing a "ls -l" on the
offending files.  If there not symbolic links, look at the first
character of the ls output and see what kind of file it is.  If the
first char is a "s", then you have sockets as well.

All the possible values are documented in "info ls", but not in the
man page.  I have not verified if rsync can handle sockets or not.
I'm basically just assuming that sockets in my /home directory
structure are not critical to my backup.

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group