On Saturday 12 May 2007 08:57, Jim Flanagan wrote:
> Running openSUSE 10.2, radeon 9800 pro.
>
> Thanks for any assistance.
        ... and another thing...

        ... did you try running   aticonfig  --initial

        ??

        The instructions change for suse 10.2 and on... previous to 10.2 you
run:

        aticonfig  --initial  --input=/blah/blah/... profile

        ... but on 10.2 you do not need the profile.

        Also, when you built the driver did you receive any errors or warnings
about
symbols not being resolved?   The kernel sources may not be installed
correctly or completely, or you may need to  copy the kernel config to the
sources tree and then run   make dep  to get the dependencies right.   Also,
take a look in  /var/log/Xorg.log   to see if there are any clues...

        My experience so far with the radeon card and the fglrx driver:

        So far its been a PITA and very flaky. My kernel kept crashing on my
boys
machine...  anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes of use down she goes... no hits,
no runs, no error messages, no panic... just dead.  (very unLinux like).  I
have now set my AGP bios settings down to 4x ,  64M apature,  fastwrite off,
and things seem to be stable now.  I still get a "double" X server running
even though I'm configured for one head, and only have one card/monitor. And
two of the games which ship with openSUSE 10 do not play ...   Amazon Queen,
and Steel Blue SKy... both cause the monitor to blank... turn grey... with
streaks... not good.   All other 3D stuff works well, and for the most part
we're happy... but I have to be honest... this is my very last ATI card,
period.

        What we need is a 3D hardware standard with open drivers period. (ok,
I'll
spare you the rant)

        Good luck with your card.

--