On Saturday 12 May 2007 22:40, Registration Account wrote:
> Given the choice when getting a new PC would you choose Intel Core 2 duo
> or AMD Athlon 64bit x 2 CPU
> With 1000 and 1 benchmarks and both are similar cost to me - can you help.
        That's easy...

        ... Intel Core 2 Duo.

        ... and I'll tell you why--- because the hardware and software markets
have
not converged (IMO) for 64 bit processors.  To put this differently... its
still bleeding edge.  To be frank about it... the 64bit linux stuff just
isn't ready yet... there are way to many things that I am seeing on the lists
that do not work well (or at all) in 64bit.  For my money its going to be
IA32 for some time.
        I as yet do not own a duo core system... I've been waiting because
multiple
core processors are going to be the rage... and (2) is going to be so old hat
very soon... so I'm holding out just a bit.  Of course the Mac is now using
the Intel Core 2 Duo (my sister has one... loves it).  I'm very tempted to
make my next machine a Mac...   then again I am also waiting to see what Mike
Dell is going to do with his linux preloads...  :)

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><