M Harris wrote:
> On Sunday 13 May 2007 21:20, M Harris wrote:
>>         Well, the other shoe has dropped. The leopard in Redmond is really
>> desperate...
>       MICRO4OFT'S OPEN SOURCE FETISH
>
>       This is another take on the same theme... this guy blogs that M$ will
> never
> sue because they can't afford it... read his three reasons why.  This guy's
> ire is really up...
>
> http://weblog.infoworld.com/openresource/archives/2007/05/making_sense_of.html

Both articles are interesting and relevant in terms of the American
Marketplace as being the largest in the world. I would view this article
as an analysis intended to keep investors and shareholders on board, and
the business equivalent to the Haka(*) before the big (rugby) game.

MSs major cash cow is the OEM distribution of the OS to the consumer
sector, if this should dry up, or MS fail to make an impact in growing
markets such as China, India, and the Russian Republic then they could
be in major trouble. MSs attempts to move in to other sectors such as
game consoles or mobile devices, no matter how successful will not make
for such a failure. (One should remember the IBM PC success effectively
destroyed the market for the very much more profitable RS6000 series
which was a major factor in precipitating IBMs later financial woes).
There is further issue that the home PCs marketplace may be stagnating
(no new PCs bought no Vista sold).

Vista is not exactly setting the world alight, and I would suspect that
very few of MSs major account players are contemplating mass migration
in the near future, many were still migrating from NT4 to W2K when XP
came out, and the pain of that particular experience is probably still
fresh in their minds. At the moment Linux is having more success at
replacing UNIX than MS deployments in the corporate world, and the
actual level of Linux deployment is very hard to determine given the
nature of the distribution.

At the moment the Open Source community is in more danger of shooting
itself in the foot by showing unreasoned hostility to the pragmatic deal
that Novell and Microsoft have hammered out than it is from the deal
itself. The critics ignore the fact that the business sector in general
is positive to the deal, and the kneejerk reaction of some elements of
the community will do more harm than good in the mid to long term to the
reputation of the open source community with that business sector.
Ideological purity often comes with the price tags of extinction or
isolation.

For the home machine, Linux is nowhere in the serious gaming space, but
for home office, education and some multi-media functionality it a
serious player. However, one best ways of bringing things forward is to
have both environments on the same box.

MS may want to rule the world, but does the world want it to rule them.
MSs american centred approach to its product has, and continues to
irritate outside of US real estate, many parts of planet would prefer
not to do MS simply because it is too (USA) american. MS is also having
definite problems with the EU on a variety of issues.

(*) The maori haka is a ritual hurling of abuse and threats before
getting down to the serious business of mutual brain bashing... used by
the All Blacks in Rugby Union for much the same purpose... [NZ members
of the list may wish to elaborate]