I guess there was a poison pill in those patents we pilfered:

http://www.bangkokpost.com/090507_Database/09May2007_data05.php

Alliterations aside, the only "myth" is in Hilf's own brain.  There may
be some developers out there who wore tye-dye t-shirts, travel in
Winnebago vans, and had a taste for the tree, but there were just as
many buttoned up developers that have never listened to the Grateful
Dead once.

And I love this line from that article: Hilf said that the Linux
phenomenon had nothing to do with Linux, but rather it had a lot to do
with Apache, MySQL and PHP. It was those applications which pulled Linux
up with it, the "Visual Basic of open source."