On Mon, May 14, 2007 at 11:26:31AM -0400, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> All,
>
> I have pulled some factory rpms, but I have no idea how the opensuse
> team/community becomes aware that new releases are available and that
> a new rpm should be made available.
>
> Specifically, rdiff-backup did a release in the last few days that has
> a feature I would like to utilize.  I'm familiar enough with the
> process to just pull it down for myself, but I thought it would be
> better if I could somehow trigger the build service to make it
> available for all.

Several ways:

- the package maintainers read the project mailinglists and see
  the new releases

- We have some magic scripts(tm) that parse Freshmeat and SF notices
  and send package update notices to the packagers

- Someone opens a Bugzilla Enhancement Request for the package maintainer.

  This is the approach you should use if you see something outdated.

Please note that not all packagers update their packages ASAP, especially
if there are several releases per month they usually only do it occasionaly.

Ciao, Marcus