On Monday 14 May 2007 16:27, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello List
>
> "just pop a small Cable/DSL router inbetween your host and the modem
> (standard ethernet connection for the host +security)."
> _____________
>
>  - that sounded easy! . . . but it is not working yet  :)
>
>  - how please to set this up? - my PC cannot "ping" the router at
> 192.168.0.1

Note your router IP address, it is on the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet. Google for
the term subnet to understand the significance

> and the Netgear Install Wizard does NOT Start.

Is this wizard on the router firmware? If it is from a CD, either from Netgear
or your ISP, put it to one side and ignore it, you do not need it and you
will only get grief by attempting to use it

> I have openSuSE 10.2 installed on my stand-alone PC
>
> my ethernet card is : 192.168.1.10, netmask 255.255.255.0, gateway
> 192.168.1.254 (the default address of the Speedtouch ADSL ModemST536i

Not your ethernet card IP address, it is on the 192.168.1.0/24 subnet. You
will only be able to ping the router if they are on the same subnet, or if
you have a route to the router via another router which is itself pingable.
In short change the address of this card to be on the 192.168.0.0/24 subnet