On Monday 14 May 2007, Petr KlĂ­ma wrote:
> Have you ever tried to display radeon man page? You'll see "2d only"
> beside most newer chips. And yes, that's current state on 7.1 Xorg.
>
> With glxgears (being definitely non-benchmark), you can easily
> achieve 3000 fps with pure software rendering.
>
> I was talking about laziness in windows redrawal and so on. Firefox
> is especially slow, making user experience quite unnacceptable.
>
> On my IBM T41 notebook with Radeon 7500, 2D experience with radeon
> driver is way better - even Composition is done in hardware and at
> least window transparency is handled by hardware and perfectly
> smooth. I was very surprised to find that such old card can handle
> this.
>
> Cheers, Tosuja

============

Actually I have read much of the man page, as I tried to keep up with
things going on.  I followed the XFree86 until Xorg branched off as I
was keenly interested in the progress they were making.  Many of the
newer cards do only list 2d only, but the 9800 is not a newer card.  In
fact, in the world of graphics cards it's quite old, so support for it
is there.

glxgears is not the definitive benchmark for 3d, that's true, but you
won't easily achieve 3000 fps on any card, unless the driver being used
is strong enough to drive it to such speeds.

I've never experienced laziness in windows or any thing else since using
the Radeon cards, from the 7000 up.  I've continually gotten good
service and ease of install with all of them.  That's not to say it
can't be done, because if you overdrive the cards capabilites, you'll
get problems.

Yep, I do agree with you on the last paragraph, as the 7000 series have
always performed surprisingly well on everything I've seen.  I've
always been pleased with it's 3d capabilities as well.

It doesn't sound like you've gotten the consistent good performance out
of your ATI cards that I have, from your description, but I'm not sure
the cards were incapable of good performance.

regards,
Lee