On Tuesday 15 May 2007 01:43, Petr KlĂ­ma wrote:
> Multi-core - well, we get back to software then. Most people run single
> application and only small fraction runs more than 2 CPU intensive apps
> at a time. Realizing that most common today application software is
> single thread, you don't really need more than a double core. Quad core
> is investment for the future while the same goes for 64 bit CPUs.
        Multiple cores are for the kernel... not so much for parallel thread
processing with an app.  In other words, at any given moment my little 'ol
desktop machine has somewhere between 80 and 120 processes running on it...
all through the same funnel... I mean ALU.  With a quad core (or more) the
kernel can assign those 80+ processes to the first available CPU.... the more
the merrier...  this potentially speeds everything up by an order of
magnitude... assuming minimum resource contentions. We've been doing this for
years really... one cpu funnel for normal ALU stuff, and the other one for
video processing...   starting back in 1980 with the VIC 20.
        When you start talking about VMs running, or multi-user app servers
then the
quad core (or multiple cpu) is a must.

--
Kind regards,