On May 09, 07 18:23:43 +0200, Simon Lewis wrote:
> Instead, the argument is over whether the video card manufactures are
> stealing the kernel developers property, when in fact the video driver
> manufactures are allowing the kernel manufactures to widely distribute
> the Linux kernel to the mass users... Without the video drivers no one
> could use the Linux kernel...
>
> It would be interesting to know which video driver each of the kernel
> developers use when they themselves do not permit the distribution of
> the video drivers..?

There are enough free video drivers available, if you don't need 3D.
Kernel developers typically don't need 3D, and even for that some open
source drivers exist (radeon (Ugh!), intel).
No, they are typically not fast enough for recent games. Kernel
developers typically don't care, because they don't play these games
- I can't blame them, it's about interests and priorities.

Note that quite some kernel developers don't even use X, just
framebuffer consoles.

Matthias

--
Matthias Hopf <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      __        __   __
Maxfeldstr. 5 / 90409 Nuernberg   (_   | |  (_   |__          [EMAIL PROTECTED]