Randall R Schulz wrote:
Since you're explicitly embarking on this as a learning experience, you could always set up a dual-boot configuration for "compare and contrast" purposes. I'm really not up on it, but perhaps you could use Xen or one of the other virtualization systems to have both at once. Since you've got a dual-core processor, it should perform pretty well, though 2GB is even more restrictive in a concurrent dual-OS situation.

Thanks for your comments, Randall. The motherboard I'll be using has room for two RAM modules, and although it supports up to 8 GB in each (16 GB total), it's not easy to find modules that big. And even 2 GB modules are pretty expensive for a toy.

The dual-boot idea is a good one, and one I hadn't thought about. I dual-boot Windows XP and Linux on one of my laptops, but it didn't occur to me to do it with two versions of Linux. Thanks!

You've gotten me curious about virtualization as well. I use VirtualPC, VirtualServer, and various VMware products on XP-Pro and Server 2003, but never experimented with VM's on Linux. (I've never had Linux running on a machine with that much horsepower.) That sounds like an adventure, too.
Thanks again for the help,

Jerry in Bothell, WA