On 5/18/07, M Harris <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Thursday 17 May 2007 15:28, Francis Giannaros wrote:
> Your text as quoted above is really crossing the barrier of just
> [unsubstantiated] trolling now, so please stop.
        Actually, I did not intend that in the beginning, and I'm not a troll.
The
truth of the matter is that the advice I gave to uninstall mono was at the
first (outside of this thread) given to me.  I really do think it had more to
do with the various bloated mono engines running (not just in SUSE) on linux
these days due to C#.NET and removing the runtime etc solved the problem
permanently. I was really hoping someone would tell us whether the inherent
problems with zmd zen (Beagle) as CPU hogs was related to the engineering
behind those products specifically vs the (CLR) runtime. Although, in
fairness I must confess my anti-M$ bias, that was not the main point at the
start of the thread... I regret allowing myself to digress <sorry>.

Beagle had a bad reputation originally for some bad CPU-hogging, but
it's really improved and it's just not very fair (or accurate) to
blame this on mono; these days beagle is very good, efficient with CPU
and memory usage, and performs very well.

The problem with ZMD was generally twofold: (i) the ZMD helpers, which
have problems, and (ii) unsuitability for openSUSE, which is more for
your average consumer rather than an enterprise, which means the
structure and design of it is a lot heavier than any average joe would
need.

Though I don't really use them since I'm more of a KDE guy, Banshee
and F-spot are two very nice applications written in mono. They're
really producing some exciting technologies; to label it as bloated is
to just grossly, and inaccurately oversimplify the genuine advances of
any development platform.

Regards,
--
Francis Giannaros   http://francis.giannaros.org