On Monday May 21 2007 11:12:16 am Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> Let's make it clear: RPM does not resolve dependencies. Not for
> install and not for uninstall.

Correct.

YaST/Smart/Apt/whatever-your-choice-of-package-manager-is all use RPM to check
and report dependencies that an RPM package requires against the RPM database
of packages. It is still left up to us humans to resolve any reported
conflicting or missing dependencies. That's why we get paid the big bucks and
not RPM.

> Basically this means, that you should use Yast: it can remove unneeded
> dependencies, yes.

YaST/Smart/Apt/whatever-your-choice-of-package-manager-is; Yes, use a
package manager to inform you of conflicts and allow you to deal with them.
You can do this maunally on the command line via rpm if GUI is too much
trouble.

> RPM is low-level package manager.
As low a level as you can go using RPM...

> Yast is hi-level package manager.
A nice GUII wrapper may be more to the point.

> --
> -Alexey Eremenko "Technologov"

What was the question? Seems like you know the answers already.?.?

--
Stan