Hello Roger,

Roger Oberholtzer wrote:
> We have some vehicles on the road all around the world. They run
> OpenSUSE 10.0. Not all the computer systems have free PCI slots. But
> they do have USB.
> Does anyone have any experience with a USB-based GPRS modem that would
> allow us to log in to these systems via the GSM/GPRS network? I have
> seen these for Windows (in adverts for telecoms - so no real details on
> the actual hardware is provided).  Any experience / pointers are
> welcome.

I highly recommend that you give a look at Gener's site
(<http://www.gener.fr>), and particularly at GSM/GPRS modems like this
one: <http://www.gener.fr/UK/genpro24e.php>. They are specifically
designed with vehicle-based applications in mind.

They have a serial connector (RS-232) and no USB, but I suppose that you
should easily find some USB -> Serial converter.

All the devices I ever got from Gener were always driven by straight AT
commands, so they are perfectly compatible with Linux.

I use them in the context of my SMSLink project
(<http://smslink.sourceforge.net/>) and they've always been very reliable.

HTH

Cheers. Bye.

Ph. A.

--

*Philippe Andersson*
Unix System Administrator

The contents of this e-mail message and any attachments are intended solely for

the recipient (s) named above. This communication is intended to be and to
remain confidential and may be protected by intellectual property rights. Any
use of the information contained herein (including but not limited to, total or

partial reproduction, communication or distribution of any form) by persons
other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited. Please notify the sender
secure or error-free. Ion Beam Applications does not accept liability for any
such errors. Thank you for your cooperation.