On Thursday May 24 2007 8:04:42 am Kai Ponte wrote:
> On Thu, May 24, 2007 12:10 am, Verner Kjærsgaard wrote:
> >> ...I left it in the locked state for a few hours. Went off to a
> >> meeting, and it has been working perfectly. Could it have been "The
> >> Return of Beagle"?  I'd forgotten about the dog, and I have it
> >> running. I currently have KDE System guard running to see if
> >> anything
> >> is stealing my processes, but so far, it has worked flawlessly for
> >> the
> >> past hour.
> >
> > Having read the entire thread, I got this stomach gut feeling...it's
> > your X
> > driver. I've seen stuff like this when the display hardware doesn't
> > really
> > like the X driver. Or the other way round.
> >
> > Try digging in that direction.
>
> Update:  How do I "dig" in this direction? I just noticed it locking
> up again last night. I restarted my session in Enlightenmetn, and it
> locked within about two minutes.
>
> It "could" be hardware, as someone else mentioned, but Vista wasn't
> locking like this. I have been running memtest since last night, with
> no ill results.
>
> Ideas?
>
> When I type tail /var/log/messages I don't see anything strange.

Dig in the direction of the video drivers as suggested. Use the default nv,
radeon, whichever video driver and see if stability returns. If its really
new hardware, make sure you have all the BIOS and firmware updates that are
available installed and keep looking for updates. Solid lockups where SSH
gets no response and /var/log/messages has no clues are most often video
related.

--
Stan