On 5/29/07, Greg Freemyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
If your really curious, check the 2.6.19, 2.6.20, & 2.6.21 changelogs
at http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/ for major
improvements.  For recent minor bug fixes in the 2.6.21 series check
changelogs for 2.6.21.1,   2.6.21.2 ,   2.6.21.3.

If you find that there is is new functionality available not in the
stock OpenSuse 10.2 kernels (2.6.18 based iirc), you might want to
consider using one of the Factory kernels.  They are less tested, but
likely will work fine in non-production environment.

FYI: If you do go through the changelogs, I'd be curious what you find
so post a summary back to the list if you don't mind.

I ended up getting curious myself.

2.6.19 - Nothing significant related to Promise TX4

2.6.20 - New maintainer (Mikael Pettersson <mikpe at it.uu.se>).
New EH implemented for most Promise TX chip sets.
Appears to include hotplug.
Not sure about NCQ or TCQ.

2.6.21 - Remaining TX4 chipsets moved to new EH.
ATAPI support added (used by CDs/DVDs)

2.6.22-rc3 - Only one patch to fix a typo in flags.  Don't know what
impact it had.

Note that I would be very surprised if any of the above has been back
ported to opensuse 10.2.  You need a factory or kotd kernel to get the
above improvements.  Or just wait for 10.3 to come out.  (Do we have a
target date?  Aug. will be 8 months since 10.2)

Greg
--
Greg Freemyer
The Norcross Group