Chuck Payne wrote:
> On 5/30/07, G T Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>> On Tue, 2007-05-29 at 10:24 -0600, Tim Donnelly wrote:
>>> I am using Suse 10.2 on two different machines.  One is a new Dell
>>> Poweredge 2970, the other is an older (2002) "no-name" server.
>
>> I have the same problem with two machines, one a dual core x86_64 and a
>> AMD XP2000 ... self built together and working 2 and 5 years
>> respectively.
>
>>>   Both have experienced a strange and severe problem since I installed
>>> Suse.
>
>> i had it with SuSE 9.3, 10.0, 10.1 (Boxed Novell purchased version) and
>> now with OpenSUSE 10.2
>
>>> Basically the file system is put into a read-only state.
>
>> This I noticed only now with OpenSUSE 10.2, the others just locked up
>> solid.
>
>>>  While the OS and all apps are still running and I can log in a view
>>> files/logs etc. nothing can write to the disks.
>
>> I could only log in ssh from another machine.
>
>>> Obviously this causes all kinds of problems.  The only way to get the
>>> filesystem into a more interactive state is a hard reboot.
>
>> Same here
>
>>> The first two times this occurred, there were messages in
>>> the /var/log/messages file relating to megasas,
>
>> I did not see it at all. The x86_64 system has SATA, and the other IDE
>
>>>  however as soon as the system was restarted, these warnings
>>> disappeared.
>
>> Until some days later perhaps. I have excessive problems with some
>> versions of Evolution and the newest OpenOffice 2.2 running high disk
>> access, then no access to the system is possible; the disks are in
>> constant access (LED permanently on). Just the M$ reset trick works.
>
>> :-(
>> Al
>

> I have been experiencing something similar, the last occurrence involved
> FAM writing several hundred messages complaining about to many files
> being open. On a previous occasion I noted fam at 100% utilisation just
> before everything locked up (no log message ... the log was then read
> only). I suspect this is a symptom not a fault. In my case there seem to
> indications of a memory leak of some sort but I am not in position to
> pin it down anything in particular yet.
>
> What I do not know is whether if the kernel detects an internal problem
> it sets the file system to read only to avoid possible file corruption.

- --

> I had the same issue, I had to run e2fsck to clear the issue. My
> journal appear to have gotten damage, once I ran that. It fixed. So of
> you got your dvd, you might want to do a recuse you and run that
> command.

I use reiserFS on this machine not ext2/ext3. In my case there are other
symptoms particularly with network connections that indicate this is not
just a file system issue.

I also found out today why some people have reservations about ext3. As
an experiment I have one ext3 partition on my laptop... Which decided
today to do an enforced fsck. If the whole thing was ext3 it would have
taken 20 minutes to login. Not amused...

[I know someone will tell me this is configurable... but alarm bells
ring for me if a file system cannot trust itself]