On Wednesday 30 May 2007 14:22, Alexey Eremenko wrote:
> > > Adding /sbin/ to user's $PATH doesn't lower your security. (because
> >
> > Thats your oppinion or do you have some way to prove that?
>
> 1. Well, you're still bound to the Linux security model.
        hi Alexey,
        The security model is not the issue. In fact, security really has
nothing to
do with the core issue here--- the other respondents are attempting to
address the LSB issue which is unfortunately at permanent odds with your idea
regarding sbin utils.
        What is at stake is the Linux Standard Base, and LSB certification
compliance. Please reference the following link:

        http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/Products

        The products listed above are certified to be in compliance with the
open
standards ---Linux Standard Base... for instance openSUSE 10.0 is in
compliance with the core LSB version 3.0.  There are lots of good ways to
organize a system... and I could probably think of some myself... but the
idea here is to prevent Linux from fragmenting. What differentiates one
distribution from another should *not* be its basic organization and
functionality. I should be able to drive Fedora just as easily as openSUSE,
as Ubuntu. The greater benefit of course  that comes from LSB is an open
standard development platform. We want developers to write code for Linux...
and the only way that really works in practice is to have the core system
pretty much an open standard so that developers know what to expect... not to
mention users! ---a new app should install and run fine on Fedora, and on
openSUSE, and on Ubuntu.

        LSB is a good thing for everyone over the long haul.

--
Kind regards,

M Harris     <><